Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Missing Blocks!

I just went through the blog and checked to see if there were blocks I had missed sharing.  Lo and behold, there are several!  So, here they are!

Richmond
This was one of the first ones I made.  Not sure why I missed posting it!



Star of the West
Annie made this one.  Love the colors.



True Blue
This one we determined needed to take a "blue" spot, given its name!



Port and Starboard
A "Red & Blue"



Blockade
Another "Red & Blue"



Now that our blocks are almost completely finished, we've filled the design wall with them.  We think we have a pretty good idea of what we want to do for the layout, sashing, borders, etc.  I messed around in Photoshop with pictures of our blocks and tried different background colors, different borders, and so forth. 

My biggest challenge was trying to get the blocks to "pop" and not blend into the sashing and borders.  What seems to work the best is to edge each block with a strip that is lighter than any of our other "lights" which separates it from the dark background and from the colors in each block.

Annie had thought that 4-patches would be a good addition at the corners of each block, and I came to agree with her.  I added them to the Photoshop layout and it really dressed it up.

So, this is where I think I'm going with mine.  Dark blue background, red and taupe 4-patches at the block corners, a red inner border and blue outer border.  I like how it makes the blocks "float."  Annie is thinking of doing something similar, with a lighter blue for the background.


































So, there's an update on where we are.  I think things will slow down even more as we coast into fall here.  There is much on our plates with the change in the seasons and the holidays fast approaching.  At least they seem to be to me when I look at the list of things I hope to get made before then!

Happy Stitching!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! It's just beautiful! I love the addition of the little 4-patches ~ it ties it all together.
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! Now we'll see how it comes out in real life!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is stunning! I love everything about it, but especially how the four blocks makes it "float". Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just stunning! I love everything about it, but especially the four square blocks that make it "float". Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been daydreaming about making a quilt with these very colors. The Civil War prints and colors speak "home" to me somehow. This quilt you show here is especially beautiful and cleverly pieced - also interesting to the eye with its variety of squares. Just Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, thank you for your sweet comments. Civil War fabrics say "home" to me, as well.

    Years ago, you and I corresponded over your book, "Simply Grammar." My husband and I published a small magazine and you sent me a copy to review. Our children can sill rattle off the list of prepositions!

    Our children are all grown now, and one of my daughters and I are opening an online quilting fabric store, and we're focusing on Civil War reproduction fabrics. A dream come true for both of us.

    Bless you. I hope you are able to make the quilt about which you are daydreaming. ☺

    ReplyDelete